So, so doable
Feeds 2 hungover people
There is nothing better in life than spending Saturday afternoon, that leads to the evening, that leads to night, that leads to the next morning sitting around a dining table in your best friends house drinking copious amounts of red wine and/ the contents of their drinks cabinet. There is nothing worse than waking up the next morning and feeling the self inflicted repercussions. This happened last weekend with our great friends, Alice and Tom, who live down the road (it made the staying until the wee hours seem so much easier!).
The only thing that would cure this stonking hungover repercussion was eggs. And bread. Together. Cooked in my pyjamas. This recipe was created from the absolute dregs of the store cupboard and fridge and tasted amazing. So little effort required.
For the bread:
300g self raising flour
300g plain flour
300g plain yogurt (you can use buttermilk too)
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp caster sugar
Handful of mixed nuts roughly chopped (any would do - hazelnuts, cashews, walnuts, pecans)
For the baked eggs:
1 shallot finely chopped
1 tsp harissa paste
100g fresh spinach
2 medium eggs
Salt and pepper
1, Pre heat oven to 200C.
2. Start with the bread. You should sift (I was in no fit state to faff around, so didn’t and it was fine) the flours into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the bicarb, sugar, nuts and yogurt.
4. Mix together with your hands until you have a well brought together lump of dough.
5. Need it for a minute on a floured surface and then bring together as a ball.
6. Place on a floured baking tray and bake in the oven for about half an hour to 40 mins.
7. You know when its done when it is golden on top and sounds hollow when you tap it on the bottom (this is really important, if its not hollow sounding, its not ready and will be raw in the middle). Cool on a wire rack. Turn the oven down to 180C.
8. Start the eggs side of things when the bread is out if the oven (don’t try and cut it when it is straight out as tempting as it may be).
9. Fry the shallot over a medium heat until soft.
10. Add the tsp of harissa paste and stir. Then add the spinach and stir until wilted. Finally add in the crumbled feta. Divide between 2 ramekins.
11. Crack and egg ontop of each ramekin and place in the oven for 10 mins.
12.Remove and serve with knobbly bobbly soda bread soldiers.
13. After, nap on the sofa.